Did you mean: 

Connect Box

SOLVED
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
6 1 1

Erratic wifi stability with new connect box

Hello,

I have upgraded from an old 10 Mbps connection to the new 600 Mbps connection, and I am using the connect box.

If I use the ethernet cable, it's totally fine.

But the wireless functionality is completly erratic, to put it mildly....

1) Sometimes it's great and I can use the 5 GHz channel achieving speeds of 500 Mbps.

2) Othertimes the 5 GHz channel is constantly detecting radar signals and sending me to a different channel, which disrupts my conference calls in the worst possible timings.

3) Othertimes, both in 2.4 GHz and in 5GHz, the speeds are suddenly lowered to between 5 and 15 Mbps...

4) Othertimes, both in 2.4 GHz and in 5GHz, I simply have short connection losses with no obvious reason behind...

I already tried (in summary) to:

A) Assign different network names to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels.

B) Use only the 2.4 GHz channel (under different channels) --> this limits the speed a lot of course, and it does not fix the overall stability anyway.

C) Use only the 5 GHz channel (both inside and outside the radar/DFS channels) --> it also does not fix the overall stability.

The problem does not seem to be the signal strengh. I downloaded the application WifiInfoView and the signal seems strong enough (not perfect, but ok...).

It also does not seem to be the actual internet connection. As I said, by cable, it's fantastic.

Can we do something about this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
6 1 1

Re: Erratic wifi stability with new connect box

Just an update for other people having similar stability issues:

• I followed-up the "UPC Connect" app issue privately with UPC and they helped me to figure out that I actually had a "newer" customer number that I should be using. Afterwards, I was able to use the app properly.
  • With the app, I confirmed what I already knew: the wifi strenght at my home was never the issue.
  • Now, what REALLY seems to have helped is the following: I asked them to disable the Wi-Free on my modem router

Now that I am using IPv4 and with the Wi-Free deactivated, everything seems MUCH more stable.

I hope I am not celebrating too soon, but for the moment I am quite satisfied.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Community Manager
6566 1620 499

@jbo , Welcome to the community!

You have already tried out some of the solutions we communicate. Unfortunately we don't have any other solutions, except that we change your modem to IPv4 once.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
6 1 1

Hello Daniele,

Thank you for your answer.

I am not an expert so I don't fully understand all the ramifications of that change, but:

1) Can you confirm that the internet bandwidth is not diminished? If confirmed, then yes please.

2) I guess the transition will cause my connection to be unavailable for a few minutes, right? Can you avoid the typical working hours (8h...18h...)?

I am customer 6401134.

Thanks!

Highlighted
101 13 5

@jbo  Hi 

We can not, because the change may only be registered with immediate effect, we can not date 

After switching to IPv4 you will not have any speed difference, but you should restart the modem after about 30 minutes (maybe a reset if the modem does not come online).

But I would recommend that you call our technical support after 6 p.m. if you can't afford to have the internal break off briefly. The technicians can be reached until 10 p.m. Then you can do it for you over the phone.

Best regards, Cem

Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
6 1 1

@Cem_UPC Thank you for the answer.

In that case, can you please register the change with immediate effect?

Highlighted
Community Manager
106 47 9

Yes, sure.

We have made the changeover, which will be completed in 30 minutes. Restart your modem afterwards.

If you have problems, reset your modem. Press the reset button on the back of the modem with a pointed object for at least 25 seconds. Then please try again.

Greetings,
Cem

Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
6 1 1

@UPC_Team , thank you.

I had to reset the modem, but I confirm the change is done.

However... the same instability is still present anyway :(

Again, the actual internet connection seems totally ok. It's just the wifi capability of this connect box that seems very faulty.

Of course the obvious solution is to buy a router on my own, I know. But needing a modem plus a router at home is really a pitiful solution... Is there no other option?

Highlighted
Community Manager
6566 1620 499

@jbo , The only solution we have left would be this one:
- reposition your modem once
- download the Connect App from the App Store on your cell phone
- measure your WIFI afterwards
- if the coverage is bad, you can order boosters for free

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
6 1 1

@Daniele_UPC , thank you for the suggestion.

The Connect App is the "UPC Connect" app, right?

In fact, I already have it, I downloaded a few days ago.

But I have always been unable to configure it.

It keeps saying "Modem not found":

1) I have the iphone in my own wifi of course.

2) I click "Try Installation Again"

3) I click "Install my Network"

4) I select "Connect Box"

5) I select "3-hole wall plug"

6) I select Next in the following 3 screens (all is well connected) and then Finish

7) I see "Receiving data" for a few seconds

8) I get back to the initial message "Modem not found"

Could this be part of the overall problem?

Or am I really unlucky and I get all the problems?

Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
6 1 1

Just an update for other people having similar stability issues:

• I followed-up the "UPC Connect" app issue privately with UPC and they helped me to figure out that I actually had a "newer" customer number that I should be using. Afterwards, I was able to use the app properly.
  • With the app, I confirmed what I already knew: the wifi strenght at my home was never the issue.
  • Now, what REALLY seems to have helped is the following: I asked them to disable the Wi-Free on my modem router

Now that I am using IPv4 and with the Wi-Free deactivated, everything seems MUCH more stable.

I hope I am not celebrating too soon, but for the moment I am quite satisfied.

View solution in original post