cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Box

Supporting Actor TV
3 0 0

GIGA - intermittent timeouts and connection loss

I've been using the UPC cable for a few years now, upgrading to the best possible service whenever something new was made available. With the beginning of 2020, i switched to the GIGA Connect Box to benefit from gigabit download speeds.

Long story short, I'm having lots of intermittent service disruptions, about 2-3 per day and it's really frustrating to have to reboot the Connect Box each time. The device logs are filled with the following messages:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:57:40:0e:72:61;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:95:57:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:57:40:0e:72:61;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:95:57:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:57:40:0e:72:61;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:95:57:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=e4:57:40:0e:72:61;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:95:57:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Having spent ample time with tech support who first advised to first switch the standard coax cable I have been using to a better one, which I did buying a nice 120dbi 5-layer shielded HAMA - not really made a lot of difference being honest.

Finally, through a prolonged call, I'm being told that by using the device in modem mode with my own enterprise grade router and infrastructure at home, I'm actually out of support!

What's even more frustrating is that the technician doesn't understand that the logs i pasted above and read out to him (apparently no email address to send those to... really?) come from my own device and not the Connect Box.

I've been doing infrastructure security for the past 15 years professionally and have no time to waste on calling UPC for issues that don't exist - equally, can troubleshoot my own network as I have been doing for a living all my life. I'm now told to change to the router mode (which will disrupt the multiple IPSEC tunnels I use to make a living) just so that I can sit and wait around to finally note the time when the connection drops by hand and call in again.

This is nothing short of ridiculous and a waste of time. Can anyone here help looking at the matter or do I need to change the provider already? It's not that I'm not tempted as the GIGA connection costs me 79 bucks a month as a reward for being a 4yr+ client where it would have been 30 bucks less if I only subscribed now.

Excellent experience...

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
366 167 27

Re: GIGA - intermittent timeouts and connection loss

Hi @mickppla

Welcome in our community.

Thank you for your post. We understand your points. In order to solve or picture the issue, our technical support needs your help. Otherwise they are not able to help you out. 

Please also check this thread concerning the Giga Connect Box: https://community.upc.ch/t5/Connect-Box/Giga-Connect-Box/m-p/152108/highlight/false#M444

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards, 

Ahmet

Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
3 0 0

Hi Ahmet,

Thanks for your prompt response. I looked at the thread but other than the three status updates which I welcome, I don't see how to take advantage of the information to resolve my issue.

Yes, I understand that the tech support needs my cooperation but if providing meaningful information from the Connect Box's log file isn't that, I don't know what is. Working long hours every day, I also refuse to turn everything upside down just to determine that perhaps my Sonos speakers are causing modem timeouts - or maybe it's going to be my smart dishwasher next time. I hope you know where I'm getting at.

Best,

m.

Highlighted
366 167 27

Thank you very much for your feedback. We can see where this is going. We also understand that you do not agree with how the error analysis should be continued. On the other hand, we also have to emphasize that this is a special case that is very complex to analyze, especially because of your own setup. Many users with the same product do not report back such error images.

We are happy to help with the analysis, but this also requires your cooperation. Otherwise alternatives have to be found if you do not agree with the product in this form. You can contact us by private message. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards, 

Ahmet

Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
3 0 0

Yes, that is all clear but so far, no one looked at or provided any feedback regarding the log extract i pasted into my 1st post - for anyone working in technology, log analysis is the fundament of all troubleshooting.