Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Box

Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
10 3 0

Giga connect box dropping internet connection over wifi

Hi,

We have just recieved the new giga connect box, and ever since installation, we regularly lose internet connectivity. The wifi is working fine, although connected NAS servers drop out too – this all while the wifi signal is connected and strong.

I regularly have a streaming service, vpn or bittorrent running, often the connection drops when one of these is running. – while typing this the internet has dropped 3 times, spontaneously coming back after a few minutes, also, during such a timeout I can also not access the Connect Box dashboard.

The problem described in the folliwing post seems very similar to what we are experiencing:

https://community.upc.ch/t5/Connect-Box/Giga-Connect-Box-Internet-Random-Timeouts/td-p/149119

When using the network diagnostic tool (while the internet works) it results in 'wifi problems' (see image). But as you can see from image 2, the wifi is fine.

Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 17.58.34.pngScreenshot 2020-01-05 at 17.55.02.png

Any help?

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Community Manager
5240 1384 407

Re: Giga connect box dropping internet connection over wifi

@Pix , Welcome to the community!
Do you have the interruptions even if you don't run your torrent? It is possible that your torrent is blocking the line with open sessions, so the modem starts to block everything.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
10 3 0

@Daniele_UPC Hi Daniele

Thanks for the reply, appologies for my late reply (busy week). I've just had another connection dropped, with torrent and vpn running. It might well be bittorrent blocking the connection to the router. But why? The previous connect box with near identically settings (port forwards/ static routing etc) never had this problem....

Highlighted
Community Manager
5240 1384 407

@Pix , I can't answer this question. I recommend that you contact our technical support.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
10 3 0

Update: UPC reset my Connect box remotely - apparently the box was showing up in 'modem' mode on their side, even though I had a wifi siginal which shouldnt be possible. The connect box interface also showed 'router' mode.

That gave me hope but unfortunately the problem persists - I even switched off 'IP Flood Detection' hoping that the network load was causing the router to identify as a flood and block connections.

I'm still recieving 'wifi problems' when doing a system check on the connect box.  

Any  other ideas?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Manager
5240 1384 407

@Pix , 

Let me get this straight, you use VPN together with Torrent and all traffic goes through VPN? If so, it is possible that too much traffic goes over VPN and then it is interrupted.

I am convinced that Torrent is overloading your line with all the traffic.

- What happens if you only run the torrent without VPN?
- What happens if you only run VPN without torrent?
- Have you ever set your modem in bridge mode with your own router?

Because of the WIFI, do you have WIFI errors or is it just about the error display in the app?

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
10 3 0

Hi Daniele,

No, the VPN and the torrents have nothing to do with each other. The VPN is for Netflix US and the torrent runs by itself. I've resorted to stop the torrents and VPN. Even so when I do a backup to my NAS over the network, the connection goes down - which leads me to believe that something is overloading the router. (or the router cannot handle the traffic)

To answer your questions:
1. Thats generally how it's always run.
2. The more services I refrain from using, the stabler the connection seems - In order from the worst to least: Bittorrent downs the connection in minutes, NAS backup over the network minutes, Streaming (zattoo etc) downs the connection after 1-2hours, VPN same as Streaming.
3. Unfortunately I don't have another router to test in bridge.

I've done some testing on my MacBook using network diagnostics, the wifi signal, tx rate etc etc are all stable, even in the event of the link going down. As I mentioned in a earlier post, the WIFI itself seems stable and always connected, but the communication between computer & connect box drops - even when the wifi is running smoothly. I just ran a network diagnostic again, and same thing - "Checking Wifi Connection" gives an error (but is working fine)

Thanks
Highlighted
Community Manager
5240 1384 407

@Pix ,Thank you for your detailed explanation of the errors. Can you please send us your customer number via private message, so we can check the signal quality and other things? Please include the link to this thread in your message.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
10 3 0

Update - For the last week or so I've only been using the 5ghz network for traffic intensive tasks (backups, streaming etc) and NO bittorent activity, for the most part it worked with no dropped connections, until about Wednesday when the problem sporadically started reapearing.

Now, not only does the connection drop on the 5Ghz network but also the regular network - and instead of just one machine losing the connection, concurently my iphone also loses connection. 

I'm also still recieving wifi errors when running the connect box diagnostic.

I'm starting to feel that this could just be a faulty connect box, is there a possibility of getting a replacement?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Manager
5240 1384 407

@Pix ,I have initiated an exchange of the modem. You will receive a new modem within the next few days.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team