Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Box

Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
12 4 0

Re: Giga connect box dropping internet connection over wifi

Hi @Khell 

I tried all the mentioned solutions, including a modem change and some technnical tweeks from the helpline. Eventually I bought a 3rd party router, Asus Zenwifi AX, and put the connect box into bridge mode - since then no problems. This is clearly a firmware/software problem on the side of the connect box. 

Hope thats of some help.

Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
3 0 0

Hi @Pix
Thats exactly what i thought. Normally it's not a problem, but with work at home atm, it's a nuisance.

Cheers
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same problems described in this thread:

• Noticeable drops when using Teams / skype / WhatsApp over Wi-Fi. Even with a laptop that is under a metre away from the router.
  • I  am also seeing regular lag spikes on a PC connected directly via Ethernet.
  • Sometimes a reboot fixes it for a short time. Sometimes the reboot process takes around 6-8 minutes to complete. I've had it forget all of the settings after a reboot, too.

error.png

I never had these problems with the old connect box. I am close to requesting a downgrade. Can anyone help?

Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
3 1 0

Unfortunately I cannot add a solution.. but I can join in with the same problem

However, I don't do lot of "traffic-intensiv" things.. the wifi connection is still running and devices are connected, but the internet does not work - sometimes up to 1 min.. I can quickly disconnect and reconnect and it immediately works again.

My Connectbox (the new 1Gbps) shows the same error message as you posted. Even after Reset of the box. So it's not a box configuration issue - I also believe it's either a faulty unit, or as it seems maybe a firmware issue?

Phone support checked location and recommended moving it away from the wall - not a long term solution because having the box in the middle of the room is not an option.

Also, it's not a solution as it still drops and shows the error in the backend.

Getting my own router is no option for me, as the box is sold as "WIFI" capable it should also do so - and I don't want second device in my living room. And last, my old Connextbox worked fine for 3.5 years.

So - as said, no solution but only frustration. If you have any update, please let me know.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Manager
6589 1621 499

@and1 , Welcome to the community!

The signal values of the modem are ok. I can only recommend you to install the Connect app on your cell phone and measure your WIFI. With the app you have the possibility to order WIFI Booster, which amplifies your signal.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
3 1 0

Thanks Daniele,

I downloaded the app and checked my wifi in my appartment. It is not very big and the Connect Box stands pretty much in the middle of it - hence also the app showed all great connection to my wifi. I don't think a WIFI booster is needed at all.

Interestingly, yesterday I did a reset of the box with the small button on the back of the box. The WIFI error in the diagnostic tool disappeard afterwards. However today, I've run the diagnostic tool again, and it re-appeared - showing the same error as in the posted screenshots.

so this was basically "re-appearing" over night without any evident usage of the network.

I start to think that the box is faulty - however, as other posted above a replacement box did not resolve the issue.. is there any firmware update that you could push to my box?

Highlighted
Community Manager
6589 1621 499

@and1 , We do not have a firmware update to push. I can only recommend you to reposition your modem or take your devices closer to the modem. You can also disable the 5GHz WIFI and leave only the 2.4GHz active. Does that make it better?

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
3 1 0

thanks! I switched first do 5GHz only - and the error persisted.
Then, I've went with 2.4Ghz only - and tadaa, the error is gone.
Let me see how it goes through the next days.. I would actually prefer 5Ghz but if this resolves the weird "no-internet but still connected" cases we've at least found the source.
I'll keep you posted
Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
3 2 0

Unfortunately I have to connect to this topic and confirm that I have the exact same problem.

It's very annoying because I'm working fomr home and I get dropped from skype meetings multiple times. I also lose remote desktop connection from time to time, because my company VPN disconnects - very frustrating.

I have recently separated broadband 5Ghz from 2 Ghz and connected to 5Ghz only. This didn't help and the issue still persists. Now I will try to connect to 2.4 Ghz only, as you suggested, and will test it out. Hopefully this will resolve...