Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Box

mko
Supporting Actor Film
5 0 0

Internet down every day in 8032

Hi,

Since a few months I'm noticing a regular signal losses of both internet and TV in 8032. Problem happens almost every day (~5 times per week) and requires me to disconnect all the devices from the UPC wall plug and connect them again.

During the outage Connect Box obviously does not have access to the broadband network (and thus no internet) and TV does not detect any signal on the configured frequency (it shows signal quality 20% comparing to 100% when working okay).

Unfortunately phone support is not helpful at all - every call just ends with "please disconnect all the devices, wait a few minutes, connect them again and check". Looks like a short circuit somewhere between my home UPC outlet and UPC core network causing loss of the signal and fixing only after Connect Box gets disconnected from the network.

I'm attaching some screenshots from the Connect Box web UI in case they are meaningful to someone. Network log indeed shows a lot of messages like "B-INIT-RNG Failure" and "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out". The biggest problem here is it requires a manual disconnection of the cables every single time, otherwise Connect Box can stay in error forever. Can someone confirm simiar issues in their case?

Thanks for any pointers or tips,

Mat.

PS. Cable MAC of ConnectBox - 34:2C:C4:55:43:FE; Serial Number - DEAP8261128C

10 REPLIES 10
Leading Role
228 130 8

Re: Internet down every day in 8032

When I had connection issues, I called support and they sent an engineer over with some cool signal monitoring equipment.  He was able to diagnose the cabling issue almost immediately.

It's worth persevering with the support people and make it clear that you've already called about this issue and that their suggested fix didn't work.

Community Manager
2428 850 189

@mko ,Welcome to the Community!
I see our support talked to you yesterday. They have called a technician, who will contact you in the next days regarding an appointment.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
mko
Supporting Actor Film
5 0 0

Guys, this whole technicians outsourcing thingy is a joke... The guy came and did not measure anything at all. He just noticed the modem works at the very moment and left. Seriously, do we need to arrange a visit just for this? I could as well tell him the same over the phone.

Anyway, the problem still persists. I have called the UPC support once again after August 2nd as the line had a blackout again (reporting the exact time so someone can trace it back to the modem), nothing happened afterwards... As I was asked by the support to keep track of some dates where the signal drops for both TV and Internet outlet, here you go

* 12/08/2019 05h34

* 13/08/2019 21h08

* 14/08/2019 22h44

I really hope there are some measures to get to the root of this problem. If my TV can show me a message "Signal quality: BAD" it should not be really difficult for people doing this as their everyday business.

Community Manager
2428 850 189

@mko ,What you are describing is annoying and I would like to apologize for not measuring the elements. We have again assigned a technician and try to push the date. You will receive a call to make an appointment.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
mko
Supporting Actor Film
5 0 0

Thanks Daniele for organizing this, Cablecom (or subcontractor) indeed contacted me today to schedule an appointment next Friday, but I don't believe it makes much sense what is being done here...

Since the very first report to UPC no one ever came back with any response what has been done or observed, even though during every call it was claimed "we are monitoring your device" and similar blablabla just to make customer happy. I see one case with technicians (#15666003) has already been closed, but a very interesting would be to see why and what was the end result claimed... If I myself can login to the modem and see lots of error logs there, I'm pretty sure someone technically trained for this would make sense out of this.

Right now I have very mixed feelings about all of this, especially given lots of different providers available in my area. So far, already for a month, we just keep scheduling visits which consume both technicians' and my time and do not bring anything meaningful to the case.

Community Manager
2428 850 189

@mko , Basically we do not send a technician without being sure about an error. Your modem was in observation. I think our technical support found something wrong. That's why we send you another technician, because the first time the measurements weren't made. I am confident that he will find the cause and fix it.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
mko
Supporting Actor Film
5 0 0

Guys, this case is really a joke now. Last Friday the next technician visited and this time just checked whether electricity works in the building (of course it works, otherwise it would be spotted problem is with the power not with the upc, what the hell?!). Today in the morning the signal has died for the next time

```

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=34:2c:c4:55:43:fe;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:9e:51:8d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

```

Please note this problem is affecting at least 3 different appartments in the same building and UPC is aware of this (the technician visiting had reports from other people too).

I don't expect UPC to make this path anyhow easier, but at this very moment I will be trying to cancel the contract due to provider not able to provide the service described. I expect this path to be difficult and UPC making a lot of troubles, but being a customer starting from April and having a working service only for 1 month since then is not really what should be expected.

Best,

Mateusz

PS. In the attachment I'm trying to add a video showing what is a signal quality regards the TV channels, i.e. RTS. If this is what is expected from this service here, then I'm out of this league.

Leading Role
228 130 8

Just FYI, that "No Ranging Response received" seems to get logged in everyone's modem all the time.  I get it regularly and my internet is fine.

When our apartment block last had an outage, it turned out that some kind of repeater/booster box (I've no idea!) from UPC in the basement was often losing power.  Was a dodgy fuse, which the engineer along with the landord's help (to open up the room where it was stored) fixed with a new fuse.

mko
Supporting Actor Film
5 0 0

Well, yes and no, "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" together with "Ranging Request Retries exhausted" means the modem was sending subsequent Ranging Requests and did not receive a response, therefore the cable modem decides to reset/restart it's interface. I stopped working with DOCSIS around 7 years ago so cannot say more about how it works in the current UPC modems, but anything involving restarting the cable interface will have impact on the internet connection.

From my log

```

28-08-2019 07:02:29 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=34:2c:c4:55:43:fe;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:9e:51:8d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

28-08-2019 07:05:57 REGISTRATION COMPLETE - Waiting for Operational status;CM-MAC=34:2c:c4:55:43:fe;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:9e:51:8d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

```

and indeeed during these minutes internet connection was not working.

Just to make it clear, I understand this is just an equipment everywhere between my appartment and next UPC's point of presence. It can break, it can have issues, this all happens and I understand it. What I do not agree with and will try to make it as visible as possible is the attitude here - if there are at least 3 people in the same location complaining and after 2 technicians' visits the problem is still not even remotely close to being understood this means one of two things - either (1) no one cares and we are just treated as a "customer ID" which pays big bucks every month or (2) there is something extremely unusual and difficult to analyze happening in our building. Sorry, but statistics is not in favour of option (2).