Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Box

Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
5 1 0

Powerline Networking in new building?

Hello UPC!

We have just moved to a new-build apartment in Ruschlikon, and our bauleiter has advised us that the apartment has built-in powerline networking. He advised us to install the UPC box in the closet and connect it with the socket shown below in pictures, which then ensures internet via each room's ethernet port. Unfortunately, the new cables provided by UPC don't work here (the one for the 2-socket plugs, with red and blue ends). 

Are you familiar with this? Do you know where I can get an adaptor/another cable that works with this setup? As per my tests, if there was a cable that was the "red" plug (from the cables mentioned above) on both ends, that would likely work - the "blue" plug is too small to fit into the sockets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4DDD9E23-EB4D-42FB-BEDB-39D486C2F344_1_105_c.jpeg37054EC4-F17C-4822-BBBA-D27498DAA426_1_105_c.jpeg

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Manager
5737 1485 436

Betreff: Powerline Networking in new building?

@wreckingcru , Welcome to the community!

I do not assume that the sBauleiter wants customers to make changes to the domestic installation system themselves? 

I recommend that you contact the electrician of the building and ask him to install the modem and feed it into the house distribution system. He will then be able to correctly level the signal.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
5 1 0

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The electrician for the building just shrugged and said - just plug in your modem here - which is accurate! however, none of the cables provided by UPC work in that socket - and whenever I have called tech support, they don't seem to understand my explanation (probably my German ), and insist that I use a single room's cable plugs to use the router. 

Is it as simple as finding the right cable? Does any UPC shop have these??

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Manager
5737 1485 436

@wreckingcru , You can order the cables via the following link.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
5 1 0

Hi Daniele,
apologies for being difficult - but this link is not helpful. I already have both cables that work on the regular cable setup as shown in the link (2-socket and 3-socket). As I have shown in the pictures above, this is a wholly different setup that (I believe) is using powerline networking to provide wired internet thru all the rooms via the single socket in the picture. Neither cable that UPC provides actually fits in that socket (they're both too small).

Surely, this is a common (or at least getting more common) setup in new apartments - so I assume UPC (which has wired up the building) should be aware of how to address this situation?
Highlighted
Community Manager
5737 1485 436

@wreckingcru , Here is a picture of my multimedia cabinet. Below is the distributor, which you also have. Above is a patchbay for LAN cable. This installation is done by the electrician and UPC does the final acceptance of the installation. So if you want to plug in the modem at the distributor and patch the LAN cables into the sockets, I recommend you to use an electrician. We (UPC) do not do such installations and cannot supply you with cables. The electrician can supply you with the appropriate cable, if not, please search another electrician who can do this.

Greetings
Daniele

IMG_5984.jpg

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
5 1 0

Great, that's hugely helpful. So I should ask the building electrician (this is a new building where we bought an apartment, so work is still ongoing) to connect the UPC Gigabit modem to the distributor, right? I will ask them to do so then.
Highlighted
Community Manager
5737 1485 436

@wreckingcru , It may be that they will install a can for you, which would be the best thing, because if you have a malfunction, we can change the can. Connecting the modem directly without a socket is not a good solution, but the decision is up to the professionals (electricians).

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
5 1 0

Sorry last question from my side - given that I'm in Zurich, I'll need to explain these terms in German. In english, this makes sense, but what would be the right terms in german for distributor and can?
Highlighted
Community Manager
5737 1485 436

@wreckingcru ,If you make your request in written form, please translate your inquiry via this Tool. If you need help, please contact us again. 

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team