Did you mean: 

Connect Box

SOLVED
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
8 1 0

Problem with GIGA Connect Box: NAT loopback

Hi,

I have upgraded from an older Connect Box (model CH7465LG-LC) to the latest GIGA Connect Box (model TG3492LG-LC, H/W version 8, S/W version 01.02.048.10.EURO.SIP).

There seems to be a firmware problem on the new GIGA box: NAT loopback does not work at all.

As a result, port forwarding works from the Internet, but not from my LAN. All of this worked perfectly with the old box.

I tried a factory reset, then configured the new box identically to the old one, with 1 difference: on the new box I had to ENABLE the firewall, otherwise Internet access won't work at all:
Advanced settings - Security - Firewall - IPv4 firewall - Firewall protection: ENABLED

How can I make NAT loopback work on the new box please? Is there a firmware upgrade or some setting to enable?

Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
6149 1552 469

Betreff: Problem with GIGA Connect Box: NAT loopback

@matrixrewriter , Thanks for your feedback. It was forwarded according to your request. For your information - NAT Loopback and DynDNS is on the future feature list.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Community Manager
6149 1552 469

@matrixrewriter , NAT Loopback is not supported. When this will come we can not tell you at the moment.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
8 1 0

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for your quick response.

This is really sad news, as this is a serious regression from the older model!

The reason why UPC sent me the new model was to benefit from my new 1 Gbit/s contract, but I cannot lose the ability to access my home systems from my home.

Tricks (such as editing the hosts file) are out of question, as I'm using mobile apps. So my UPC box needs to support LAN-to-LAN port forwarding!

So here are the options I have right now:

A) Use Sunrise 4G at home to access my home systems (absurd! I want UPC Internet on my mobiles)

B) Downgrade to the older UPC box (slower speeds? how long will it last?)

So my question is: could you propose a better option (different upgrade path) from the older UPC box for me? I don't need very advanced features - I just need proper loopback NAT to work, like it does on the old box.

Thanks again
Highlighted
Community Manager
6149 1552 469

@matrixrewriter , The two options are either to set the modem to bridge mode, so you can use your own router, or to downgrade to the old modem (see upc.ch for the options below 1gig).

We can set your modem into bridge mode for you and change the modem to IPv4. You can arrange the downgrade with the known reasons at the hotline.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
8 1 0

Hi Daniele,

Purchasing/building my own router, why not... in fact I could also operate my own DNS server and so on - but it costs time and effort!

The point is: I'm already paying UPC over 100 CHF/month for a service, so I would expect a turn-key solution that "just works".

Could you please elaborate on why this important feature has disappeared? Is it a firmware limitation? A marketing choice? I mean: UPC offered a solution that worked out-of-the-box. Why break it? Nobody would expect such important features to be removed when upgrading their plan...

Also, to aid my choice: what are the speed limits of the older Box on the 1Gbit/s plan? If it's 10% slower than the new Box, then I can live with it for a few months.

Thanks again!

Kind regards
Highlighted
Community Manager
6149 1552 469

@matrixrewriter , I can't tell you why the feature is not available on the Giga Connect Box.

600mbit/60mbit is the maximum speed with the old Compal modem.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
8 1 0

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for your timely responses and for the information that you provided, this was much appreciated.

I managed to work around the problem (by setting up my own DNS server), but *please* forward my message below to your manager:

----

Dear Sir, Madam,

As a long-time UPC customer, I am *very* frustrated with the extreme lack of features in my new Connect Box Giga.

The previous Connect Box was already lacking essential features (eg: the ability to change IP address) that are supported in any 25-year old modem/router in existance.

But this new Connect Box GIGA is even worse: some features that worked in the previous Box (NAT loopback, firewall deactivation) are broken now!

If this was due to some hardware limitation I would understand it (ie: cost reduction) but in this case it's all *software* so no excuses for such serious regressions.

And lastly, it's not just me - many users are complaining about these incomprehensible limitations on the forums.

I hope that this message will motivate you to improve the software of this otherwise great device.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Highlighted
Community Manager
6149 1552 469

@matrixrewriter , Thanks for your feedback. It was forwarded according to your request. For your information - NAT Loopback and DynDNS is on the future feature list.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
8 1 0

OK this is noted, thanks a lot Daniele.
Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
2 0 0

Hi Matrixwriter,

I have acutally the same problem! It is ridiculous that the Gigabox router is not able to perform NAT-Loopback. I think they have simply forgotten this!

Nevertheless I have the same problem you said you had a work-around by defining an own DNS-server. Could you tell me, how you did this? Does is mean, you set up an own router and put the Gigabox into Bridge Mode?

Thank you