cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Box

Supporting Actor Film
7 0 0

Short Service Interruptions in Bäretswil since Electrical Power Outage on June 27. 2019

Hi All!

I and my family have noticed that since the electrical power outage in Bäretswil and nearby areas, (4400 Haushalte in Hinwil und Bäretswil hatten zwei Stunden keinen Strom) that we have been experiencing outages in internet service.

Some of these get recorded by the monitoring that I have via uptimerobot.com as no ping is returned. These I believe are mostly due to IP address changes or Cablecom maintenance when updates are installed on the ConnectBox. These are not what I am so concerned about. Here is a list of the 8  outages recorded by uptimerobot.com for my internet connection since the electrical power outage on June 27:

Selection_831.png

What concerns me and what I am writing this post about are the outages that occur that the monitoring does not see. These are a minute to several mintues in duration. All lights on the CablecomBox are normal and there is no indication that anything in wrong, however if you try to load a website, you will see that it does not load and the browser will sit there for a long time with a empty page.

If I run a trace route during this time to a well known website such as google.ch the trace route ends at the Cablecom Connectbox and does not go further. After the interuption is over the trace rout will go back to one of the ip addresses of google.ch and web pages will now load.

I am not the only one on our internet connection to notice these interuptions in service. My wife and two kids have both come to me to complain asking what in wrong with the internet connection.

Cablecom's Internet here in Bäretswill use to be a very good stable constant connection. The only down time was on early Tuesday mornings when the updates would be installed on the cable modem, now you never know if the internet will be down when you try to use it.

This is more than slightly anoying being a web developer that works from home to have an internet connection that just stops working for several minutes at a time, for no known reason.

I had hoped Cablecom would find this issue on their own  and fix it but it seems that enough time has gone by that I have given up hope on that.

Has anyone else in Bäretswill been experiencing these outages too?

10 REPLIES 10
Supporting Actor Film
7 0 0

Re: Short Service Interruptions in Bäretswil since Electrical Power Outage on June 27. 2019

I should also add that we have our telephone via the Cablecom internet connection. This too experiences these outages. We will be in the middle of a phone call then the connection is cut by the interuption. We have to wait until the interuption is over to be able to call back. Not  what I call a nice experience.

Community Manager
3212 984 250

Re: Short Service Interruptions in Bäretswil since Electrical Power Outage on June 27. 2019

@frederickjh , Welcome to the Community!
Thanks for the detailed error description. It's annoying to have these interruptions. So that we can investigate, we have put your modem in observation. After the 1.5 week period, we may be able to track your interruptions and know where to start.

But I still have one question. Your IP range starts at 192.168.99.x. I assume that you use your own hardware? If so, what exactly are you using?

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Supporting Actor Film
7 0 0

EdgeRouter X v1.10.1

Supporting Actor Film
7 0 0

We just had an outage the Smokeping monitoring I setup shows it between 13:15 and 13:20.

Selection_833.png

Hostname: 77-58-144-1.dclient.hispeed.ch

Selection_834.png

Selection_835.png

Supporting Actor Film
7 0 0

Actually I meant between 13:10 and 13:15. Before with a larger time period I was hard to tell. I was out and my son and wife told me the internet was down.
Community Manager
3212 984 250

@frederickjh ,If you are using your own router, I recommend that you operate your modem in bridge mode. Otherwise you have a double NAT in use. Please remove your router once and connect the computer doing the ping tests directly to the Connect Box.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Supporting Actor Film
7 0 0

@Daniele_UPC Not sure how what you suggest is realistic. I should just disconnect all the devices on my network to connect one computer directly to the connect boxt to ping and wait for intermittent interuptions in service to occur. Did I mention that I work from home and have a family that also uses this internet connection?

Reguarding, using bridge mode, my understanding is if I switch to bridge mode the UPC Wi-Free access point will not be functional and I will not be able to use the UPC Wi-Free network when I am away from home. Is this correct?

The question that needs answered is why does the ConnectBox act like it is still connected to the outside but stops responding to the inside router? No pings no incoming traffic for the duration of these outages.

Community Manager
3212 984 250

@frederickjh , I can't answer that last question. It is important that you connect the computer doing the ping tests directly to the Connect box and then do the tests again. We want to exclude your router as a possible source of error. If you use your modem in bridge mode, the Wi-Free won't work anymore - correct.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Supporting Actor Film
7 0 0

Selection_838.png

Outages since we started monitoring.