Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Box

SOLVED
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

UPC Connect Box drops wifi connections and phone line connections

Over the last few weeks my TV  connect box loses the rewind and playback services quite frequently but not every day and when I check the Network status on the TV box it shows that it is still connected to the Connect Box.

I then search using the WIFI from the TV box and then have to start the WPS setup again and going to the Connect box to hold the WPS button for 5 secs.

Then the TV box is ok again and I have the rewind and playback services working again.

Just today I am also now getting phone line dropout from the Connect box using my fixed Line phone, whilst I am talking with someone. This has happened twice today.

Overall status for my address says everything is GREEN, does this mean I have a problem with my Connect Box itself?

Gaby_at_Home
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Betreff: UPC Connect Box drops wifi connections and phone line connections

The TV box was still continually dropping the connections today, so I was left with no choice but to call up Technical Support.

The support engineer found that because somehow the 2.4 GHz and the 5.0 GHz were conflicting with each other, the Tech support separated the two frequencies and set the TV box to respond only to the 2.4 GHz and now it seems more stable and has a higher signal strength.

The fixnet telephone line would also have been affected and it is hoped now that problem is also solved..

Thank you for your assistance but I think we can close this thread now.

I hope that the idea of the Connect Boxes having more secure HTTPS IP addresses will be taken on board.

Thanks and Bye

Gaby_at_Home

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Manager
5537 1440 425

@GC9437_69 , Welcome to the community!

For processing, please send us your customer number, address and date of birth via private message. We will then check the configuration of your modem.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

From where do I direct email you? is it the normal Tech Support?

Gaby_at_Home
Highlighted
Community Manager
5537 1440 425

@GC9437_69 , you can click here and send me a private message.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Community Manager
5537 1440 425

@GC9437_69 , I checked your modem and we could try the following:
- We can rename your 2.4GHz WIFI
- You change your 2.4GHz WIFI password
- You then connect the UPC TV Box manually to this WIFI 2.4GHz (without WPS configuration)
- You try again afterwards

However, we recommend that you connect your UPC TV box via LAN cable (without booster in between)

Please let us know what you would like to have / try.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Thank you for the feedback.

I will try to connect the UPC TV box using the pw without the WPS button.

I changed the password for the main Wifi as it is the safe thing to do.

Also may I point out that the CONNECT BOX IP Address is NOT a SECURE IP.

UPC should consider changing all Connect Box ip address to a more secure IP, as this can lease to Hackers being able to access household Connect boxes very easily. Once they have access to your home connect box they can easily access other data. I study Cyber Security and I know this would be an easy access point. You need to change the IP addresses so that it uses HTTPS and not just HTTP.

I cannot connect directly to the Connect Box as it is upstairs and directly connects to my DeskTop PC which has no WiFi and my main TV is downstairs etc

I have to use WiFi expanders to boost the signal downstairs, but I could try connecting an Ethernet cable to the WiFI booster and the UPC TV box.

Gaby_at_Home
Highlighted
Community Manager
5537 1440 425

@GC9437_69 , Thank you for your feedback and the suggestion for the Connect Box HTTPS Login. We have forwarded your suggestion internally. 

Regarding your request:
For further tests of the problem search the TV Box should be connected directly via LAN, otherwise we cannot exclude the boosters as a source of error. But you are welcome to test your test with the LAN cable and booster.

Greetings
​​​​​​​Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

The TV box was still continually dropping the connections today, so I was left with no choice but to call up Technical Support.

The support engineer found that because somehow the 2.4 GHz and the 5.0 GHz were conflicting with each other, the Tech support separated the two frequencies and set the TV box to respond only to the 2.4 GHz and now it seems more stable and has a higher signal strength.

The fixnet telephone line would also have been affected and it is hoped now that problem is also solved..

Thank you for your assistance but I think we can close this thread now.

I hope that the idea of the Connect Boxes having more secure HTTPS IP addresses will be taken on board.

Thanks and Bye

Gaby_at_Home

View solution in original post