cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizon TV

Movie Star
1466 759 94

Re: Using ethernet connection instead of RF IN, will I get all same channels?

I have no experience with this Device, but it may no be what you want.

This is just a Cableconverter so that you can send the RF Signal through a RJ45 connection cable. It has to be a dedicated cable, directly from the RF-Source to the Destination.

There can't be a switch or other network equipment between.

This converter doesn't do IP-TV, it's just a cable adapater.

I going to ask my friend for some hints for you for building a RF to IpTV converter, if you like.

Supporting Actor Film
15 0 0

ahhh I see. That probably wont work for me then as I have the same rf connected to my modem which is then sending to the other rooms.

the box to do the conversion possibly needs to be smallish also. It can be bigger than that device in the last link, but maybe modem size is ok.

If you could ask your friend that would be great!

Thank you very much

Richard

Movie Star
1466 759 94

Hi @RichardWilliams

I asked my friend about the System he uses to convert DVB-C to Ethernet, here is what he wrote me:

Basically he uses this device to convert the DVB-C to IP: https://digitaldevices.de/produkte/netzwerk-tv-tuner/octopus-net-c2-4t/

The device has 4 Tuners to feed more than 1 TV oder a TV and 3 streams to record.

It's a kind of Sat>IP conversion but used with DVB-C: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sat-over-IP-Technik

On his NAS/Home-Server he runs TVHeadend (http://tvheadend.org/) that's responsible for channel managment, EPG, recording.

The TV doesn't connect directly to the Octopus tuner, but to the TVHeadend so that it can use EPG, timeshift, recording and so on.

Connected to the TV he want's to watch is as PC with Kodi (https://kodi.tv/) with a plugin for TVHeadend.

With this you have the complete comfort and more of a DVB-C TV connected with a IP network.

Important, that all works only with the unencrypted channels in the basic offer of UPC, no CI+ support for a DigiCard.

Supporting Actor Film
15 0 0

Oh Wow!

This thing looks great and exactly what I need. It somehow is a little different to what I expected.

I expected a little device that can output all onto network, then at the other end it could pick up the signal from the network and put it back to the coax so I can use the upc cablecom set top box.

So I am guessing I don't even needs UPC Cablecom set top box and this will just pump all the channels onto the network and I just need software or correct hardware to pick them up?

Couple of other questions:

1. I have read some of the documentation, and there are so many acronyms that I dont understand all of it, I was wondering, so from the upc cablecom coming into the house, which connector would I connect that too, I can see VL, VH, HL and HH?

2. Because this device has the ethernet connections, will this also provide the ethernet supplied from the UPC Cablecom which means I dont need to use the UPC cable com router either?

Thanks loads already, this is getting me much closer to a nice set up.

Richard

Movie Star
1466 759 94

- Yes, you don't need a UPC TV Box anymore. But you still need the ConnectBox for Internet access, that can't be done with this device.

- I would say there are 4 independant tuners, so you could transfer 4 different signals from 4 different sources. As you only want the UPC channels you would have to use adapters (T-pieces) to feed all 4 inputs with the same signal source. But I can ask this my friend to be sure.

Supporting Actor Film
15 0 0

Hey great thank you so much for all of this you have been so helpful!!

I very much appreciate this :-)

So I only need to connect to one of the feeds from the UPC? What advantage would I have if I connected the same feed to all connections? Is that possible also?

Thanks loads again

Richard

Supporting Actor Film
15 0 0

So I just realised the octopus box you recommended, it has card slots where I could put a DigiCard.

So my new question is does this octopus box support the UPC DigiCard, I can see it requires a CI+ card reader. I couldn't see this on the octopus box, do you know if it is capable of using the UPC Digicard

Thanks

Richard

Movie Star
1466 759 94

According to my friend, it's not possible to use a DigiCard in the octopus box.

The Box'es slot is CI, and not CI+, as requiered for the DigiCard.

Supporting Actor Film
15 0 0

Thank you loads for all your help.

So I have now picked up myself an DD Octopus NET V2 S2CT2/4 MIX - SAT>IP Networktuner

I hope this is good enough for me to use.

I managed to connect to it on my netwok and update the firmware. I have plugged in network cable from it to my router and I also connected the sat cable from the splitter into it.

Now I am kind of really lost on how to configure this if I even need to, or do I just need to use the headend software and it will pick up the feed on the ip address the octopus is on?

Also should I not bother plugging in the digicard from Upc cablecom?

Best regards

Richard

Movie Star
1466 759 94

I myself never set up such device, but does the Octopus has a WebInterface?

I guess at first, you have to do a channel search with it.

The DigiCard won't work, as the Octopus can't forward a encrypted channel. So the right managment will block the encrypted channels.