Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet with Horizon

SOLVED
Supporting Actor Film
6 7 1

Confused about Horizon / Connect Box

Hello, I was offered the Connect Box for free and I said ok sure why not but now that it's arrived and I'm looking at the connectivity it has I'm confused about how I'm supposed to use it.

I have TV+Internet with a Horizon recorder. Is it possible to use the Connect Box as modem/router and connect the Horizon recorder to it? If so, where can I find how? Otherwise I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it, unless maybe it can be used as an access point (I already have an ethernet switch in the middle of my apartment so having an AP there would be nice)

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Award Winner
1027 542 46

Re : Confused about Horizon / Connect Box

Hi @eperez,

To connect both Horizon box and Connect box to the coaxial socket you need a ''coaxial separator" (don't know the exact name in english) : http://www.radio-materiel.ch/download/liens/ds-29_tec.pdf (german pdf)

You can request one for free to UPC in a UPC shop or by calling their hotline.

It will be someting like that:

[wall socket] ------- [coaxial separator] -------- [coax cable] ------- [Horizon box]

-------- [coax cable] ------- [Connect box]

Best regards,

Michael

Supporting Actor Film
6 7 1

I think that'd be a splitter Ok thanks, I'll try that!

6 REPLIES 6
Award Winner
1027 542 46

Good afternoon @eperez,

No, you can't connect the Connect box to the Horizon Box.

In your case, the Horizon Box will only be used for the watch television and the Connect Box as modem that will be used for the Internet.

Kind regards,

Michael

Supporting Actor Film
6 7 1

Hello, thanks for your answer; actually what I was asking was if it was possible to connect the Horizon Recorder to the Connect Box and not the other way around, something like

[Horizon Recorder]-----/ethernet/-----[Connect box]-----/coax cable/---[wall socket]

but now I'm not sure if you mean I should somehow connect both to the coaxial socket(s). Could you please clarify this? I haven't found anywhere how to use both together.

Thanks

Award Winner
1027 542 46

Hi @eperez,

To connect both Horizon box and Connect box to the coaxial socket you need a ''coaxial separator" (don't know the exact name in english) : http://www.radio-materiel.ch/download/liens/ds-29_tec.pdf (german pdf)

You can request one for free to UPC in a UPC shop or by calling their hotline.

It will be someting like that:

[wall socket] ------- [coaxial separator] -------- [coax cable] ------- [Horizon box]

-------- [coax cable] ------- [Connect box]

Best regards,

Michael

Supporting Actor Film
6 7 1

I think that'd be a splitter Ok thanks, I'll try that!

Award Winner
1027 542 46

Great! @eperez let's us be informed about your case here to know if everything is ok after having received the splitter 

Best regards,

Michael

Supporting Actor Film
6 7 1

Hmmm this is awkward... I was just checking this evening the boxes and it seems there was already one so I didn't have to ask for it. I had seen no mention to it in any of the figures and I didn't even notice it was there until just now. So I used this splitter and it seems to be ok now. I also noticed that there's a small paper that mentions a "green guide" for connecting one of the devices separately and "blue guide" for connecting them together, but I've looked through all the materials in the box and there's no "blue guide". Maybe it wasn't included by mistake? Anyway, not that it matters now (it was simple enough once knowing to use the splitter).

BUT I have another question. I'm configuring the new router and I'm unable to find where to set the port forwarding. In https://www.upc.ch/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/en/int/Manual%20Wlan%20Connect%20Box%20Mo... there's a section for it, supposedly under "Security", but my Connect Box "Security" menu only shows "Firewall", "MAC Filtering" and "IP and port filtering".

Is there ANY way of forwarding ports with this router? If not I'd rather keep using the other one!

Thanks

edit: I just found this http://community.upc.ch/t5/Internet-with-modem/Connect-Box-Menu-options-missing/td-p/79070 (maybe I should've googled harder before asking) I'll try to call and see if they can do that ipv6-ipv4 change. Sorry for the silly questions.