Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet with Horizon

SOLVED
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 2 1

Connnect Horizon box to Connect box with WiFi

Unable to get Horizon box to connect with the connect box via wifi.

In a new home and all the other works are complete to "move over the previous connection". However, the 3 in 1 socket is not near the TV. I have run a coaxial in the only space available for the TV connection and am trying to get the Horizon box to connect via WiFi. Any tips or missing details I can supply.

WiFi is working for all other devices.

Landline works

TV works on "live" television.

Playback is currently unavailable.

unable to set horizon box to cliet mode as i have read in other posts.

Thanks in advance

Geoff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supporting Actor Film
7 2 1

Re: Connnect Horizon box to Connect box with WiFi

The solution. Reboot to factory defaults and set up again. Lost all recordings so waited until we watched everything we wanted before trying this fix. Resolved playback issue but still nuts that horizon won't connect with Connect box to effectively boot the Wifi signal within a home.

All done enjoy your self people.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Leading Role
229 131 8

Don't bother trying to connect your Horizon box to your wifi, or even using an ethernet cable directly to your connext box.

Connecting your Horizon box to your LAN does nothing useful at all*.  It won't use that internet connection for replay or the guide text etc.  The Horizon box needs its own internet connection else you'll get errors such as 2020/6010 and an "offline" light on the front panel.

If you're getting TV pictures but no replay it's one of two issues.  Either (1) UPC have messed up and provisioned your connect box whilst accidentally disabling your Horizon box or, more likely (2) you've connected the Horizon box to the "wrong" socket in the wall.  You may need to use a splitter.  To test ... disconnect the coax cable from the back of your Horizon box and use the one currently going into your Connect Box.  You'll lose internet, so this is just a test, but you should find the Horizon box starts to work.  That proves the issue is (2).

* Connecting your Horizon box to the LAN is only useful if you, for some weird reason (because it's crap) want to use your Horizon box as a DLNA client.

Supporting Actor Film
7 2 1

Thanks for the information. I am using a splitter at the moment. Also missing some channels like itv1 and more 4. I am changing the sides (swapping over the cables)of the splitter to test the splitter for faults.

The support on the phone yesterday after the move made it sound like I could use the WiFi mode to back up the cable connection. I thought this may have been optimistic.
Thanks, Geoff
Leading Role
229 131 8

You need to use the splitter they (used to?) provide with the connect box.  Other splitters might not filter the correct frequencies and will cause the type of issues you have.

If you're in a town with a UPC shop, pop in with a photo of your socket and any cables/splitters you currently have.  They'll give you any splitters/adapters/cables you need for free.

Supporting Actor Film
7 2 1

do they also provide longer cables? This may be the "fix" I am looking for. I have, and am using, all the original cables that they supplied but have bout a coax extension cable.
Leading Role
229 131 8

Don't know.  Coincidentally someone else has just asked the same question and I answered that they may either have lomger cables or be able to give an extension one.  I don't know for sure.

If not I'd be tempted to just order one from somewhere like Digitec or Amazon.de.

When I got my connect box I also used the original cables but I had three things I needed to connect.  (1) Connect Box (internet), (2) Horizon box (TV and internet) and (3) Radio (FM signals).  In the end I gave up, took all my cables and two-to-three-hole adapter and a photo of my socket to the UPC shop and they loaded me up with cables.  Some permutation eventually worked

Supporting Actor Film
7 2 1

OK, I'll keep you guys posted with a potential solution. They UPC guys wont know what hit them

Supporting Actor Film
7 2 1

UPDATE: So.... after taking all the skirting boards off and moving all the furniture to get to the cables again I performed the cables swap over (on UPC splitter cable provided) still no only live channels available but not all.
Leading Role
229 131 8

Can you (without dismantling your apartment!) have just one cable from your Horizon box to the socket?  No splitter, but use the same hole in the wall that your connect box (and the horizon box I assume, as you use a splitter) currently goes into.

Supporting Actor Film
7 2 1

Yup connected this way and still missing some channels and no playback function. I am calling them now.