Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet with Horizon

Supporting Actor TV
3 0 0

Improve wifi with additional device

Hello,

I am having problems with my wifi connection in the horizon box, is going down every 20 min , I have to deactivate the wifi in my mac and connect again, some times is solved, some times I have to repeat it several times.

I have many devices connected via wifi and some of them interconected this way, av receiver to the mac, phone to the apple tv,....

I wonder if this might be solved with a dedicated wiif router, dissabling the wifi in the horizon box, and connecting to a wifi ac router through LAN to the horizon box.

Might this help? which model do you suggest? 

Thank you in advance,

3 REPLIES 3
Leading Role
229 90 15

Re: Improve wifi with additional device

You may use a range extender. As of from Netgear..

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/

Easy to install and use. And of course.. good luck with anything that is WiFi..

(\/) (°,,,°) (\/)
Supporting Actor TV
3 0 0

Dr_Zoidberg wrote:

You may use a range extender. As of from Netgear..

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/

Easy to install and use. And of course.. good luck with anything that is WiFi..

Thanks Dr_Zoidberg!

But using a network extension will still rely on the box for primary settings, won't it? So I can not benefit from multiband or ac connection. My idea was to connect a full router to the lan of the box and use it as primary wifi connection, not so sure that is possilbe with the range extender. I am living in a loft so the signal is pretty good everywere therefore I think the issue is with the number of devices and the "stability" of the signal provided by the box, not by the signal range.

I am not so sure I can just buy a router and plug it to the LAN port, as you would do with a switch, or it requires a specific model. Other option is to connect the router to a second socket I have at home, but there again, I do not know if it might work, or if there are routers that can be directly plug to the cable socket.

Since most of my electronics are apple, I was thinking on a airport extreme, but a netgar or other brand might work as well.

Thanks anyway!!!

Leading Role
229 90 15

Hello there,

I thought I have a quick look into this thread.. 

Talking about Apple Airport Extreme.. It's important to configure this device as an access point (or as they call it: Bridge Mode). Because the horizon box already acts as a router you'd end up having a router behind a router, that may lead to odd situations.

Cheers

(\/) (°,,,°) (\/)