cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet with modem

Supporting Actor TV
2 2 0

Basic cable connection - getting modem for internet

I recently moved into an apartment, where I pay the basic cable connection fee each month through the landlord. There is only the tv converter there at the moment, but I need to get basic internet while I am setting myself up and before working out the specific tv/internet plans I want. I tried to sort this out over the phone to UPC, but was told that I can no longer get the basic 2mbits internet and that I'll have to go straight to the Connect plans if I want internet. This is apparently the case because I don't have the UPC modem. The UPC call-centre guy stated that even though the UPC website says I can call and arrange to get internet on the basic package, this is incorrect and I am no longer able to organise this internet access. So I can't access the basic features of the service I am currently paying for, and I should go through the hassle of immediately cancelling the connection, re-establishing it myself, and paying more? Why? 

I was most likely going to go through this process in the future to get a Connect plan, but why should I do this? If I can't get access to what is clearly stated as my current package then why should I commit to a contract with you? If UPC can't provide the service I am paying for now, why should I expect anything different in the future?

3 REPLIES 3
Movie Star
1466 759 94

Betreff: Basic cable connection - getting modem for internet

Until the launch of the Connect-Contracts you paid 33.95 to your landlord and could order a modem for the 2mbit connection.

That's impossible now since the launch of the new contracts. The cheapest you get is the 40Mbit ConnectAbo for 49.-. This includes new the fee you paid your landlord.

So you now have to order Connect 40 and resign from the contract you have with your landlord with a letter you're going to receive after the contract is signed.

You get 40Mbit Internet, 80 TV stations and a phone line basic or no phone for new 49.- (https://www.upc.ch/de/kombi-angebote/connect/connect-40/)

There's no other option right now.

Supporting Actor TV
2 2 0

The other option is cancelling the cable connection with UPC and going with a different provider. That is the gamble UPC seem to be making by forcing current customers into a new contract. Risk losing the 407Fr from the yearly cable connection to make an extra 181Fr. I may as well go with the competitor that offers a cheaper rate, with no TV. May as well actually get what I pay for.

Movie Star
1466 759 94

Sure, you can switch the provider.

But 40Mbit Internet for a price of 49.- is difficult to get.

If you don't need that kind of speed, you may be better of with an other provider.