Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet with modem

SOLVED
Supporting Actor TV
2 2 0

UPC provided by the landlord

Hello,

I rented a new apartment, where the landlord has a contract with UPC for the whole building, so in order to access Internet I have now to pay a fee of 39 CHF per month, but I already pay 59 CHF for my contract with UPC, so I wonder what should I do to get rid of either one of the payments? I called UPC, and they said that I can sign a new contract with them, but my landlord says that I need to pay them anyway, so I am kinda confused...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Leading Role
228 130 8

Re: UPC provided by the landlord

The Fr.39 your landlord is charging you is for providing the socket and some basic TV and internet. The Fr.59 you're paying is for more TV, faster internet and/or a landline.

That means your actual UPC package is (59+39) Fr.98/month.  

Am I right that you've been with UPC for more than a year?  It was about a year ago that they decided to make a change that most landlords seemed unaware of.  The change involved you paying everything (Fr.98/month) and your landlord nothing.  The landlord then removes this cost from the Nebenkosten and hence stops cross-charging you.

You could check the new UPC bundles and if you see something you like for less than you're paying now (Fr.98 in total) then ring up and ask to change.  However, if not, it's easiest to just stay as you are.

However ... if you're a new UPC customer and you have a bill of only Fr.59 including the connection fee (the cheapest I can see today is Fr.69 for 50Mbit so it does look like you're on a Fr.98 package) then your landlord needs to stop charging you the Fr.39 as he/she is not being billed for that.  UPC will give you a letter to hand to your landlord that explains it.  You'll need to ring UPC and ask for one.

6 REPLIES 6
Leading Role
228 130 8

The Fr.39 your landlord is charging you is for providing the socket and some basic TV and internet. The Fr.59 you're paying is for more TV, faster internet and/or a landline.

That means your actual UPC package is (59+39) Fr.98/month.  

Am I right that you've been with UPC for more than a year?  It was about a year ago that they decided to make a change that most landlords seemed unaware of.  The change involved you paying everything (Fr.98/month) and your landlord nothing.  The landlord then removes this cost from the Nebenkosten and hence stops cross-charging you.

You could check the new UPC bundles and if you see something you like for less than you're paying now (Fr.98 in total) then ring up and ask to change.  However, if not, it's easiest to just stay as you are.

However ... if you're a new UPC customer and you have a bill of only Fr.59 including the connection fee (the cheapest I can see today is Fr.69 for 50Mbit so it does look like you're on a Fr.98 package) then your landlord needs to stop charging you the Fr.39 as he/she is not being billed for that.  UPC will give you a letter to hand to your landlord that explains it.  You'll need to ring UPC and ask for one.

Ian
Supporting Actor Film
14 13 0

"UPC will give you a letter to hand to your landlord that explains it. You'll need to ring UPC and ask for one"
Good luck with that, I have asked 4 times and I am still waiting, each time I ask I sense discomfort with the whole issue from the UPC reps.
Leading Role
228 130 8

Oh dear!

As far as I'm aware it's just a template letter, so I don't understand why they didn't simply photocopy thousands and send them out to everyone who needed one.  However, as all it does is tell the landlord that they're no longer being charged the connection fee for your apartment/house (they'll work that out for themselves at the end of the year) you could simply tell your landlord what's going on. 

At worst you'll keep being billed until he/she does the accounts and the Nebenkosten adjustment.

Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
2 2 0

I asked them today, but they said it is already on the list to be sent at the next massive sending session.

Ian
Supporting Actor Film
14 13 0

When I last asked I was told, your landlord's agent has now had one credit in your name and address. Whatever that means? Perhaps that they made payment and were advised the need not have done so? When I last spoke to the landlords agent, they claimed to know nothing. So we currently pay both UPC and the landlord for the same thing every month, both are happy, so both could seemingly care less. No adjustments to our Nebenkosten as of yet and not looking promising is it.
Leading Role
228 130 8

Yeah, it sounds like your landlord made a payment when they didn't need to.  The landlord can use the credit for the payment for another tenant's connection charge (a tenant still on the "old" scheme). 

I think you're right, that your landlord is confused and as they're not out of pocket not in a hurry to sort things out.  You can; of course, challenge the Nebenkosten accounts when they come as they'll itemise the UPC connection charge.   I would keep chasing UPC for them to send you the letter!