cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet with modem

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
1 0 0

What router/modem do you guys recommend?

Hello all. I'm about to buy my first house with my wife and we're going to be having Mediacom for internet. I've heard that most companies like to basically let you rent their modem/router when you could just buy your own instead. I was curious what you guys would recommend. Also, are they tricky to set up? I've never really dealt with them before. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
18 7 0

Re: What router/modem do you guys recommend?

I prefer to use professional gear at home. The firmware for this class of devices is well maintained for a couple of years. Having said that, I used to have self built devices with

• M0n0wall from PC-Engines
  • Mikrotik
  • Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4

My Wifi is Ubiquiti Unifi.

I haven't deployed a consumer device for at least 10 or more years. I don't want to generalize, but support for these devices is usually limited (time and frequency wise). Keep in mind, your router is gateway to your private network.

if you have a basic understanding of IP networking, setup is managable. Google is a good friend 

Highlighted
TV Actor
34 22 1

Re: What router/modem do you guys recommend?

Hi Blackyman7,

Hope this finds you and your loved ones well and hope my information helps you.

I use a Netgear Nighthawk x6 R8000 for about 2yrs now and is connected to the UPC Cablecom’s GigaBox in a Bridge mode, it is working perfectly

Wish you a lovely day

Ahmed