cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mediabox

Supporting Actor Film
14 13 0

HD Mediabox replacement?

My HD Mediabox is faulty, the second tuner has failed, so I can not pause/rewind/record or watch recordings. I requested a replacement Mediabox but I am being told this is not possible as I must switch to the Horizon box + edit my contract , increase my monthly fee + reduce my internet speed to 200mb (from 250mb) + recover line rental costs from my landlord?... is this all correct? I like my current long standing contract terms. I now have faulty UPC equpiment and require a replacment device, for one I still see shown on this website and without the hassle, is this not possible?

19 REPLIES 19
TV Star
347 157 20

Re: HD Mediabox replacement?

Hello @Ian,

The UPC global Terms and Conditons do not cover this particular situation. Therefore the Swiss law applies in that case.

Details should be verified but as per my knowledge UPC, by contract, must provide a service to you and currently does not because of the faulty material. They have to fix this situation for you in a reasonnable delay without any contract change and with no costs.

They are however allowed to modify your contract and notify you which would then give you a period of withdrawal if you want to go to the competitors. Now in regards to modifying the contract I'm not sure they can legally do that if they don't have a valid reason for it and for me not wanting to replace a defect box is clearly not a valid reason :smileylol:

My feeling here is that you spoke to a commercial agent who's trying to sell you stuff.

At this point... maybe you should try to call again and see if you can discuss with a manager. Worst case you need to write a registered letter were you give them a reasonnable delay to act and inform them that without any feedback you'll request an official hold by a judge. Best thing is to call your legal protection if you have one.

Supporting Actor Film
14 13 0

@Icarus

I did wonder if I had been dealing with an over zealous sales representative, a charming and very polite individual, but entirely blinkered to there being a single solution. Thank you for your response, a fair suggestion.  I will give that a try. 

TV Star
282 145 11

If it's not what you did initially, log it as a technical fault.

https://support-en.upc.ch/app/ask/954

Supporting Actor Film
14 13 0

It was orginally logged as a technical fault and the rep talked me through a reset of the box, involving the power up button and holding the - ch button, which did not recover the faulty second tuner. 

Following the above my wife spoke to a different UPC rep this evening (again technical support ,and in German). Same result, they are insisting they no longer supply or maintain a mediabox and that we MUST change to a Horizon box with all of the associated contract changes, line rental changes, degraded internet speed, higher UPC cost, asking us to write to our landlord and stop paying them line rental charges - this despite the fact that the current arrangement suits us just fine. 

It does not bode well for anyone with older equipment that breaks (the box we have is about 5 years old) and anyone currently happy with their lot. It sounds as if UPC are now forcing us down a route.

As said we are happy with the current arrangement, cost and package. But if we are forced to make changes it might be a time to shop around. What a sad end to something that should be so simple to fix. If they really want us to take a Horizon box, just send one and leave the rest exactly as it is... 

TV Star
347 157 20

@Anina, any chance you could do something about that? Seems to me UPC will soon lose an happy satisfied customer here...

Supporting Actor Film
14 13 0

@Icarus @Anina  hmmm no response? ....the silence is defeaning, though it might actually say a lot.  

TV Star
347 157 20

Hello @Ian,

The silence might actually say that @Anina is quite busy these last days with the new community beta testing... I'm sure she will find some time to answer soon... right @Anina ? :smileylol:

Ex-Moderator
1801 550 76

Hi @Ian

Sorry for my late reply! @Icarus is right about me being busy Unfortunately, the information you got is correct. We don't swap Cisco Boxes anymore since they're outdated. What I can do is ask my colleagues from the relevant department to have a look at your case and call you back. Maybe they can do something for you if you decide to switch to a new bundle. 

Just let me know whether I should forward your case to the team responsible.

Thanks and kind regards

Anina

----------------------------------------------------

Tipp: Mach hilfreiche Antworten auf deine Fragen sichtbar, indem du sie als Lösung akzeptierst. So profitieren auch andere Community-Mitglieder davon.
Astuce: Rendez les réponses utiles plus visibles en les acceptant comme solutions. Cela permettra aux autres membres de la Community d'en profiter également.

Supporting Actor Film
14 13 0

@Anina I am quite happy to hear from one of your colleagues, please do arrange that as soon as possible.

Thanks.