Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
1 2 0

WPA2 vulnerability and new firmware

Hello,

today the WPA2 vulnerability was announced. This is very critical issue and recommendation is to do not use WIFI connections. Do you plan to provide fix and new firmware for your devices? When?

Regards,

M.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor
1 1 0

Re: WPA2 vulnerability and new firmware

I would emphase that this question requires an answer a.s.a.p.

Mathy Vanoef (the discoverer of this vulnerability - https://www.krackattacks.com/) will release the process on the Wednesday 1st of November and that is really soon.

Could you please inform us on when you plan on releasing a patch for your provided boxes/modems ?

Highlighted
1 1 0

For me as well the most important question at present! 

Am using the Connect Box

Hardware Version : 4.01
Software Version : CH7465LG-NCIP-4.50.18.23-4-GA-NOSH

and need to know

* per when the new software version will be available

* and if the new software is automatically installed by UPC or if I have to act 8and how)

Highlighted
Movie Star
1681 889 114

The only action you as customer can do, would be to disable the WiFi.

You can't install a firmware at your own.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor
1 1 0

If the customer cannot do anything about the firmware (which I noticed already in the menu of my connect box), then I kindly ask UPC's TECHNICAL SUPPORT when a new firmware/software can be expected and how it will be installed.

Given the risks of the current situation, I expect this to be handled with highest priority.

Highlighted
TV Star
282 145 11

Considering how many wifi access points there are, for example each time one goes to a cafe, airport etc. it's much safer to assume that the wifi access points aren't patched and to ensure your devices are patched instead.

Any Apple stuff (laptops, phones, tablets) already have patches in beta versions of MacOS or iOS so should be available very soon.  Using a VPN is also useful, although I rarely bother.  Any https sites (such as online banking, or even many simple websites nowadays such as this very forum) are still encrypted.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Ben

Can you send me your current firmware i need to test my cable modem.

if its possible.

Highlighted
Movie Star
1681 889 114

You can't save or update the firmware of UPC devices on your own.

That can only be done remote from UPC.