Did you mean: 

UPC TV Box

SOLVED
Highlighted
Leading Role
229 131 8

FYI: BBC1 HD (maybe others) have started defaulting to language "original"

Hi,

I've not changed my settings, and am always using the same "shared" profile.  Over the last few days, BBC1 HD is no longer defaulting to "English" when the box is turned on but to "original".  This is the language with audio descriptions for the hard of seeing.

You've started watching something and "the man walks over to the other side of the room and sits down" gets said

A quick check of other channels and only BBC1 HD seems affected.

Can someone at UPC check if this can be changed back?  Or is it an issue just with my box?  I've already tried unplugging, but I could do a factory reset if necessary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
2780 911 223

Betreff: FYI: BBC1 HD (maybe others) have started defaulting to language "original"

@adrianlondon , Thank you very much for the description of the irregularity which has to do with the sound. I assume that we are working on the Dolby Digital tests and that the stations you mentioned are affected.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
2780 911 223

Betreff: FYI: BBC1 HD (maybe others) have started defaulting to language "original"

@adrianlondon , This is also the case with our test system. The HD transmitter is in original and the one without HD is in English. Is there a difference for you? We don't have a sound system and can't test it. On both audio streams the sound is in English.

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Leading Role
229 131 8

The HD transmitter used to be "English" until a few days ago.

The difference between "English" and "original" is that "original"  includes audio descriptions for the blind, which the UPC box calls "Audio Description" ("Audiodeskription").  Plus, for any programme transmitted in actual HD with dolby surround, "original" is only stereo.

I can switch it each time, but that becomes annoying.  Plus, as I say, this is a recent change.

Leading Role
229 131 8

Just turned my box on and went to Channel4 HD.  Same issue.  It's reset to "Original" instead of "English" and I'm getting audio descriptions for the blind.

I changed it to English and then checked BBC1 HD and that now says "English".  I don't have time to test whether that means if I hadn't changed it, BBC1 HD would also say "original" but there's definitely something up that wasn't happening until a few days ago.

Community Manager
2780 911 223

@adrianlondon , Thank you very much for the description of the irregularity which has to do with the sound. I assume that we are working on the Dolby Digital tests and that the stations you mentioned are affected.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Leading Role
229 131 8

I'm back from a short trip, and turning my box on for the first time in a few days and ... the default language is back to English.

Thanks Daniele!