Did you mean: 

UPC TV Box

SOLVED
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Invisibility of TV Box on LAN

Hello

I am using the UPC Connect Box as a bridge to a Synology router (model: rt2600ac). The UPC Connect Box receives an IPV4 connection with Cablecom.

The synology router is connected (by ethernet cable) to a Cisco switch. The Cisco switch feeds multiple ethernet connections.

This arrangement is working fine for multiple ethernet connections but not the UPC TV Box. As such, the UPC TV Box is not seen by the synology router and I cannot therefore assign it a dedicated IP address within the LAN and I cannot create exceptions for the TV box within the firewall.

If the UPC TV Box is connected drirectly to the UPC Connect Box by ethernet cable, the ethernet connection works fine and the UPC TV box functions fully. However, this is an unpractical solution in my environment.

Can anyone help me to find a solution and enable the UPC TV Box to be part of the LAN managed by the synology router?

Many thanks in advance and best wishes

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Re: Betreff: Invisibility of TV Box on LAN

Thank you Daniele. The problem is now resolved. The router and cabling to the router is fine. The problem was with the internal ethernet cabling within the property which has now been upgraded. Thank you for your time and patience. 

Best wishes

Richard

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Community Manager
6566 1619 499

Betreff: Invisibility of TV Box on LAN

@extratall , Welcome to the community! 

What does it show in the UPC TV Box settings when you open the Diagnostics? There you should see the IP. Otherwise, you should check the Synology manual.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Thank you for your reply Daniele.

If the UPC TV box is connected directly by ethernet cable to the UPC Connect box the settings in the diagnostics tab show as follows:

IPv4 address: 46.126.246.10/21

IPv4 Gateway: 46.126.240.1

DHCP server 1: 62.2.17.61

DNS server 2: 62.2.24.158

However, the UPC TV box functions fine when it is connected directly by ethernet cable to the UPC Connect box. This is not the problem.

The problem exists when I connect the UPC TV box to the LAN managed by the synology router. The diagnostics tab on the UPC TV Box is blank in this arrangement. In this arrangement the UPC TV box states that the ethernet cable is not connected (even though it is and functions fine in the other arrangement). 

Please note that the UPC Connect box works fine as a bridge with the router and a range of different ethernet connected devices work fine within the LAN. It is only the UPC TV Box that has a problem. My guess is that the UPC Connect box sends a signal to the UPC TV Box that is different to the internet signal which its is sending to the LAN. Is that correct? Does the UPC TV Box require a specific port to be opened? By placing the UPC Connect Box in bridge mode have I not already forwarded or necessary ports to the synology router?

Best wishes

Richard

Highlighted
Community Manager
6566 1619 499

@extratall , please forward / open the Port 2002 for your UPC TV Box. The UPC TV Box should still be able to connect, even if the port is not open. I assume that it could be your router. Have you ever reset the UPC TV Box?

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Hi again Daniele

I have restarted the TV Box several times in attempting to resolve this problem but I have not performed a three fingered reset to factory settings. Is that what you mean by a reset?

I forgot to mention in my last reply that the TV Box functions fine on wifi connected to the LAN (via the synology router). It is only when connected by ethernet cable to the LAN that the problem exists. Does the fact that it works fine via wifi provide a clue to the problem?

Unfortunately, connection via wifi is not a long-term solution for me.

The UPC Connect Box is operating in bridge mode. I cannot access the Connect box without first resetting it to factory settings. Can you confirm that this is necessary please? I ask because I had assumed that all ports were already forwarded when the Connect box is in bridge mode.

I have already tried openning port 2002 on the synology router to all traffic within Switzerland but it made no difference.

Best wishes

Richard

Highlighted
Community Manager
6566 1619 499

@extratall , You can reach the Connect Box in Bridge Mode at this address: 192.168.100.1. Have you ever tried another LAN cable? Is the lamp on your Synology Router with the UPC TV Box connected to the LAN ports lit?

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Hi Daniele

Thank you for the Bridge Mode address. Unfortunately, the all number password on the base of the Connect Box to access the settings page does not work with this address. Is there a default password for the Connect Box in Bridge Mode that you can send me?

Regarding your questions. Yes I have tried other ethernet cables and the ones in use are new and good quality. They work fine for other devices. The relevant lamp on the Ciso switch does not light when the UPC TV Box is connected but it does light when other devices are connected to the same receiver.

Best wishes

Richard 

Highlighted
Community Manager
6566 1619 499

Hello extratall

I have no password to give you. It should be the same one you use in router mode. Otherwise you have to reset the box and then set a new password and put it back into bridge mode.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor Film
7 1 1

Dear Danielle

I am still trying to fix this problem. Could you please me with the required information for the VID, Priority and Tagging fields? 

Best wishes

Richard

Community Manager
6566 1619 499

@extratall , I do not know these fields and their value. Where exactly do you have to fill them in?

Greetings
Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team