Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPC TV Box

Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
2 0 0

Two providers?

At present I am a Swisscom subscriber. I like the cloud and the TV choice. But Internetspeed has become an issue.
Swisscom service come via telephone line.

Can I have a separate UPC Internet piped in through the antennae socket?

How would I connect my PC to it in order to reach my mailbox?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager
6191 1564 471

Betreff: Two providers?

@Quirico , Welcome to the community!

I will gladly answer your questions:

- Can I have a separate UPC Internet piped in through the antennae socket?

Yes, you can have UPC as your provider and get your internet via antenna socket.

- How would I connect my PC to it in order to reach my mailbox?

After the successful registration you will receive a modem from us, which you can connect to the cable socket according to the instructions. From there you can connect your devices via LAN or WIFI.

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
Supporting Actor TV
2 0 0

Thanks for the speedy reply. But I probably didn't make my query clear enough.

I'd like to keep Swisscom as a second provider because I have 5 mailboxes with Swisscom whose addresses I don't want to change. Also I think the Swisscom cloud has become rather good. So I want to keep it.

The problem with Swisscom is that nothing is well documented and the customer service is an annoying nightmare, even "myService". In addition, I have never been able to manage to access my NAS from the outside via laptop and Internet.

If I have two providers and only one PC with one Internet-cable socket how will I practically connect to both? Will I need a switcher? will it work via software or will I have to manually switch connections?

I could also put my problem this way: Can I access Swisscom via a fast UPC connection?

Highlighted
Community Manager
6191 1564 471

@Quirico , I will gladly answer both of your questions:

- If I have two providers and only one PC with one Internet-cable socket how will I practically connect to both?

I think with a second network card you can connect both providers to your computer.

- Will I need a switcher?

You could also do this with a dual or multi-WAN router, then you don't need two network cards.

- will it work via software or will I have to manually switch connections?

I can't answer you, because I never did this.

- I could also put my problem this way: Can I access Swisscom via a fast UPC connection?

This question I do not understand exactly. But yes, you can also reach Swisscom services via UPC.

Maybe @millernet  still has some tips? 

Greetings

Daniele

Member of @UPC_Team
Highlighted
TV Star
461 235 7

@Quirico  schrieb:

Thanks for the speedy reply. But I probably didn't make my query clear enough.

I'd like to keep Swisscom as a second provider because I have 5 mailboxes with Swisscom whose addresses I don't want to change. Also I think the Swisscom cloud has become rather good. So I want to keep it.

The problem with Swisscom is that nothing is well documented and the customer service is an annoying nightmare, even "myService". In addition, I have never been able to manage to access my NAS from the outside via laptop and Internet.

If I have two providers and only one PC with one Internet-cable socket how will I practically connect to both? Will I need a switcher? will it work via software or will I have to manually switch connections?

I could also put my problem this way: Can I access Swisscom via a fast UPC connection?

I think we need to wrap up all your issues with Swisscom first. This is not the Swisscom Community (https://community.swisscom.ch) and UPC is glad to sell you a second internet uplink, but I think we need to thoroughly go through your issues first.

I suggest the following procedure:

1. Please go to https://www.swisscom.ch/checker and type in your address. What's the internet speed Swisscom should deliver? 
  2. For a successfull port forwarding or "external access" of your NAS, you'll need to be switched to IPv4 by Swisscom myService. I think currently you are running on Dual Stack light (DS light) with a private IPv4 which gets routed through the Swisscom core network to a carrier grade NAT (CNAT). This saves precious IPv4-Addresses, but you are no more able to forward ports. 
  3. There are far superior cloud services out there. Swisscom myCloud has a history of horrible data breaches and even accidentally deleted customer data (https://www.swisscom.ch/en/about/news/2019/07/faktencheck-mycloud.about.internal.html). I would't trust Swisscom and run my stuff off world class providers like Microsoft, Google or even Amazon. Google Drive, Dropbox and Onedrive are great products. 
  4. You are able to keep your existing email addresses. Just cancel your contract and order the Service Package Classic für 9.- Fr. / Mt. (https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/plans-rates/inone-home/internet/e-mail.html) But this is not the recommended option, because after cancellation of your contract, only the main email address of your account will be preserved and automatically transfered to a free service package light. The other 4 will be lost forever! So before the cancellation you need to open a Swisscom account for 4 of your 5 email address and transfer those email addresses to those seperate accounts. So you need to open a separate account for your wife, kid etc. This is horribly complicated and therefor I would never in my life use the provided email address from my ISP, because you're locked in forever. There are great and IPS independent services like gmail and outlook.com out there. 
  5. Which services exactly you'd like to access by a UPC connection? E-Mail, myCloud, blue TV Web are not an issues, but Blue TV or Swisscom TV depend on Multicasting through the Swisscom network.